Tuesday, September 29

World Peace Day

World Peace Day was last Monday the 21st of September and I wanted to commemorate it in some way.
I'd been folding origami cranes for the Senbazuru project which I started in February and I was making good progress. 
So the plan was to have 500 origami cranes folded and strung into 20 streamers of cranes.
 So it was done and ready and I spent the afternoon of the 21st hanging the 20 steamers in the verandah of the guesthouse.
 500 cranes sway in the breeze wafting peace and happiness to all and for the well being of a loved one for whom I'm making the Senbazuru.

The next goal is to have the remaining 500 swaying in the breeze by the 18th of November.

How are you challening yourself? Any interesting challenges in blogland? Do let me know, I'd like to get involved in something fiber or paper related in 2016.

3 comments:

Asha said...

WOW - that is just beautiful! Good luck with the next 500 and may your wishes come true for the well being of your loved one. Looking forward to seeing them all swaying in the breeze. :)

Shaheen said...

I have never seen so many paper cranes in my life, wow and what a wonderful way to recognise World Peace Day. ope they are still swaying and well into November too.

Marta Brysha said...

Your crane garlands are just beautiful and really do communicate a sense of peace and good will.

I have been drawing and doing studies for a series of very large (each one about 1.2 m x 0.8 m in a series of 4) lino cuts featuring the Tasmanian Forest Raven. The prints will be challenging to create with each piece requiring 3 separate lino plates and multiple colours and covered in very fine cutting.

I have also started work on a series of 13+ small embroidered works (20 cm x 20 cm), having done the drawings for all of them and dyed the threads for three of them. I dyed about 50 skeins of thread yesterday in very different palettes. It was a tiring but very productive day. I'm not looking forward to having to wind the skeins onto cards as my skeins, even though I have used smaller skeins than I would for my large works, are still about 3 times to 5 times bigger than any commercially available skeins.

I am also redesigning my website and doing a course in online art marketing, so very busy. I'll be returning to blogging soon now that I finally have decent enough internet to upload images quickly. I'll keep you posted.

ShareThis